Please Pass it On
‘Big Data’ is more than the latest ‘Big Thing’. It’s a potentially game-changing set of insights that will allow Recruitment & HR to ‘finally’ align plans and actions within the wider business strategy. But how do you achieve that â for you and your organisation?
First of all, here’s the 52N definition of Big Data. We see it as the ‘aggregation’ of data from multiple sources into a single place; offering the capacity to analyse trends and shape actions for wider business purposes. In our industry, this can mean many different things indeed. But it starts where everything should start, at the beginning â by defining what you want from your data and where you want it to take you.
If you can achieve the above, you can set practical business goals by identifying the data you need – and understanding how best to gather it, aggregate it and analyse it.
So what can a Roadmap to harness the value of your Big Data look like? Here’s the journey currently being taken by one client organisation.
- What is the company plan – Business, Financial, Geographical etc – and what data exists to inform that plan?
- What are the ‘right’ indices to align Recruitment & HR with the imperatives of that plan i.e: based on current skills need, future talent benchmarking; demographic trends; market mobility, etc.
- Based on the above, what is the best methodology to weave a resulting Workforce Plan (fully costed) into the overall Business Plan?
- What is the best way to address the skill gap analysis (e.g. talent mapping the people you need by sector, geography, skills etc).
- Can this data inform key ‘people projects’ â e.g. ‘phase one’ of an Employer Branding Project â Internal Segmentation, External Research â or an enterprise-wide Attraction & Communications programme?
You get the idea. And you can make it work for you in practice – by aggregating, planning, processing and interpreting. Big Data, in Small Bites.
Please Pass it On